Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby McNeese72 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Is there anyway, in the commercial release, to have the setup of Postgres which is included in the PT3 download to default to the same hard drive PT3 is installed on?

On my desktop at my office I have two hard drives. My C: drive is older, very small, and is a FAT32 drive. My other drive (labeled F:) is very large and NTSF. I used the install package of PT3 plus Postgres and installed PT3 on my F: drive but when it came to installing Postgres it kept defaulting to C:\Program files\. I don't want and can't install Postgress to C: drive and there was no where to change it.

I ended up having to uninstall everything, download and install Postgres 8.3.1, download and install the PT3 package without Postgres, and then make sure PT3 was communicating with Postgres. I did a little reading before, but, being unfamiliar with Postgres, the Postgres installation was a lot more work than the simple one that is done with the PT3 plus Postgres install package (which I have done on my laptop that I normally play on).

I think having the Postgres (included with PT3) default to the same drive as PT3 would keep things simple but prevent problems like mine. Of course, you could offer a choice of drives in the setup of Postgres but that would complicate things just a little more.

Just an idea,
Doc

P.S. Keep up the good work.
McNeese72
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 am

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby APerfect10 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Yes, I agree and we will get this fixed.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby Josh » Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 pm

As a rule, I want to keep the PostgreSQL auto-install as easy and painless as possible *for the majority of users*. Most users have computers where the main partition has plenty of space and the C:\Program Files directory is where all of their programs are installed. Therefore, PT3 defaults to that directory. My logic was that if you have a unique enough situation that requires PostgreSQL to be installed somewhere else, then you probably have enough experience to successfully install PostgreSQL on your own. That being said, I am considering adding an option to configure the installation directory.
Josh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6222
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby McNeese72 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Josh,

There is already an option to install PT3 on any hard drive partition you want it on. Is there any easy way to have to the installation of Postgres default to the same drive partition as was chosen in the PT3 portion of the installation?

Doc
McNeese72
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 am

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby APerfect10 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:55 am

Josh, installing PostgreSQL to the same drive that PokerTracker 3 installs do does not complicate the installation at all and is much more logical than installing to two separate drives (one of which was not even selected).
APerfect10
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby WhiteRider » Thu May 08, 2008 4:29 am

APerfect10 wrote:Josh, installing PostgreSQL to the same drive that PokerTracker 3 installs do does not complicate the installation at all and is much more logical than installing to two separate drives (one of which was not even selected).

Agreed, though I'd prefer the option to install postgres on a separate drive. Some 'heavy' users will want their data on a completely separate drive. I understand the point about people with individual set ups having more idea, but postgres isn't the simplest install...
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby _dave_ » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 am

WhiteRider wrote:Agreed, though I'd prefer the option to install postgres on a separate drive. Some 'heavy' users will want their data on a completely separate drive. I understand the point about people with individual set ups having more idea, but postgres isn't the simplest install...


"Heavy" users should not install Postgres to a seperate drive (or array) - they should install Postgres to "Program Files" like any other user, and initialise the cluster on their other drives. That or ideally (unless the "Program Files" drive is shockingly slow) use tablespace to store *data only* on the fast / large disk(s).
_dave_
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:19 pm

Re: Default hard drive for Postgres setup included in PT3

Postby WhiteRider » Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 am

OK, but that really is going to be beyond a lot of people, unless that gets worked into PT3..
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK


Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests